Week 13 - Augmented Reality in Language Learning

 We started our lesson with pictures from Gökan Hoca's previous classes and talked about VR. Then we went on with the difference between AR and VR; apparently augmented reality, overlays digital images onto your view of the real world, often through a smartphone while virtual reality primarily uses a headset to form an immersive 3D experience. 

After that, we discussed the places that AR is used. Some of which are;

- Education

- STEM

- Gaming (e.g. Pokemon GO) [Picture 1]

- Job Training

- Furniture display (e.g. IKEA) [Picture 2] 

- Navigation (e.g. Google Maps) [Picture 3], etc. 

Then Ayşe Sude said that one of the negative aspects of AR is that it does not seem real, it's way too animatic. Melis also reminded us that some people were injured while playing Pokemon GO; therefore, physical safety could also be an issue.

From there on, we learned that AR has 3 types of applications; Image-based, Creation-based, and Markerless.

Image-based: Using AR by scanning QR codes or triggering images -from flashcards, books, brochures, etc.)

Creation-based: Forming your own AR experiences by using websites like Plug XR [Picture 4], Unite AR, Unity & Vuforia (for professionals)

Markerless: AR without scanning anything (e.g. Pokemon GO)

While learning image-based, we scanned a QR code and saw a moving dolphin through our smartphone screens!🐬

Our next topic was AR in Language Learning. Apparently, AR is useful in many areas of education, such as;

* Speaking skills: Instagram filters, language learning applications

* Project development activities

* AR Coloring Books (Quiver) [Picture 5]

* Vocabulary: Word spelling games, word knowledge activities...

* Reading: -for primary schoolers- Wonderscope AR [Picture 6]

Hereafter we've seen the purposes of each level [Picture 7]

Lastly, we had a giveaway which I was so sure that I would win but I didn't🥀... I really wanted those Kral Şakir or historical places cards. 💔


Before ending my blog, I would like to thank you once again, Mr. Karacan and Mrs. Şahin. Even though I've missed a few of the classes because I was in the Çekmeköy subway -though I was extra careful this time that I wasn't riding the subway💪-, watching the recordings made me enjoy the moment as if I was in class! I actually enjoyed writing these blogs and I don't think I would feel the same enthusiasm if it was another lesson 😅. I really appreciate the time and energy you spent on us! Wishing you a fun holiday and a more fun spring term! 🎊


[Picture 1]


[Picture 2]

[Picture 3]

[Picture 4]

[Picture 5]

[Picture 6]

[Picture 7]















Yorumlar

Bu blogdaki popüler yayınlar

Week 6 - Technologies to Practice Oral Communication Skills

Week 2 - The Internet Usage ✍